SIGNIFICANCE OF BLOOD DONATION
The blood you donate is a lifeline in an emergency and for people who need long-term treatments. Many people would have not been alive today if donors had not generously given their blood. There is no end to the benefits of donating blood for those who need it. Blood is the most precious gift that anyone can give to another person — the gift of life. A decision to donate your blood can save a life, or even several if your blood is separated into its components — red blood cells, platelets, and plasma — which can be used individually for patients with specific conditions.
BLOOD TRANSFUSION NEEDS OF PKLI
- No major surgery is performed without blood because of certain blood loss during surgery. On average, about 20 units of red blood cells, 20 units of plasma or cryoprecipitate, 6 Platelet apheresis (Mega Unit) are required for every liver transplant surgery.
- For every Renal transplant surgery, about 4 units of red blood cells, 4 units of plasma, 1 unit Platelet apheresis (Mega Unit) is required.
- There is a constant need for regular blood supply because blood can be stored for only a limited time before use. Regular blood donations by a sufficient number of healthy people are needed to ensure that safe blood will be available whenever and wherever it is needed.
- One donation can save as many as three lives. Safe blood saves lives and improves health.
UNIQUE QUALITIES OF PKLI BLOOD BANK
- Provision of blood and blood products to our patients without any discrimination.
- Minimizing the concept of replacement donation by ensuring a continuous supply of blood through Voluntary Blood Donation in blood banks.
- Creating awareness about the significance of Blood Donation in various segments of society.
- Motivating people including PKLI colleagues, various colleges, universities, and the corporate sector for Blood Donation.
- Continuously organizing Blood Donation Camps at various colleges, universities, and other organizations, and developing collaborations with these entities so that they can help us in case of any requirement for blood.